Sunday, June 17th, 2012 at 9:26 am
If you have been involved in a car-on-bike accident, you should wait for the police to arrive at the location of the accident. The police will make an accident report. This report will contain the statement of the car driver and any witnesses. The police officer present at the location may find that they driver was breaking some rule and issue a ticket to him/her. This can be helpful for you in settling the matter with the insurer.
The report should also contain your statement. Unfortunately, sometimes police officers don’t hear the opinion of the cyclist for making their report. In such cases, the officer may have already concluded that you are the guilty party. You should make sure that your side of the story is heard before the report is made. Make sure you know the name and contact information of the involved driver as well as any witnesses. If it’s not possible for you to physically collect the info, ask someone else present at the scene to help you.
The scene of the incident needs to be investigated for figuring out what caused the accident. The information collected should include measurements of skid marks, photographs of the scene of the accident, opinion of additional witnesses, as well as measurements and diagrams of the accident scene.
Call for medical attention as soon as possible if you have sustained an injury. Besides preventing further damage, this acts as proof that you sustained an injury. The medical report of the professional you call will help determine the extent of your injuries. You should keep a log of the physical symptoms you experience, beginning immediately after the incident.
Avoid moving your bike or other damaged property from the position they were immediately after the collision. If possible, photograph all of the damaged equipment and accessories.
Always take the advice of an attorney before contacting your insurer. A lawyer who deals with car-on-bike accidents will inform you about your options according to the law after hearing your case. It’s important to have a lawyer who knows how to handle such cases. Here are some things that you should make sure your lawyer knows:
- Traffic laws regarding bicycles
- Negotiating with insurer about cases involving bicycles
- Defending a bicycle accident claim in the court of law
- The prejudice that juries have against cyclists
- The name as well as function of each bicycle component
- The speed at which a bike travels, braking, and cornering
- The skills and methods required for cycling
- How to obtain the complete replacement value damage to property estimates for the vehicle
- Top experts in bicycle accident reconstruction
- Licensed forensic engineers for bicycles
- Setting a value on permanently diminished ability of riding a bicycle
Bicycles are no match for many of the other types of vehicle they have to contend with. If you have been involved in a car-on-bike accident, then you should consult an attorney to get compensated for the damages you have sustaine